Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

This is SunRain Plone Theme
You are here: Home / Departments / Fire / History

History

Tonganoxie Fire BadgeThe City of Tonganoxie Fire Department has a proud history. Since the late 1800s the citizens have depended on their fire department for help in times of need. At that time the department had no formal organization. The City bought a hose wagon, which was available to any citizen, within the City or not, for any purpose such as irrigating their land. As one could expect, it finally happened that a fire occurred within the city and the hose wagon had not been returned. Presumably, the consequences were serious. They were at least serious enough to compel the City to charter the Tonganoxie Hose Company in 1913 with 8 original members, a Chief and Assistant Chief, 6 firefighters. The City of Tonganoxie Fire Department has been protecting our citizens and visitors continuously since that time.

Current personnel include a Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief, Assistant Fire Chief, Captains, Lieutenants, and Firefighters. TFD is a combination department meaning that both Full-time, Part-time, and volunteer firefighters are utilized to respond to emergencies. The training requirements are the same whether a firefighter is Full-time or volunteer. The department operates two Engine companies, one Quint, a brush truck, and a squad all of which are housed in a 5,000 square foot 5 bay station located in the heart of downtown Tonganoxie. The city currently holds an ISO Class 6 rating and has mutual aid agreements with nine nearby city and township fire departments to share resources and equipment when needed.