Dial 9-1-1 Office Address
825 E. 4th Street
Tonganoxie, KS 66086
Days and Hours
Business office is open
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thank you for visiting the City of Tonganoxie Fire Department webpage.
The staff is made up of 7 full-time firefighters, 10 part-time, and 13 volunteer firefighters. Full-time staff work on the 48/96 schedule with two members per shift. All members are credentialed EMTs.
Responses are provided from a newly expanded station.
Our mission is simple: the Tonganoxie Fire Department will respond and provide services in a competent, respectful, compassionate, and professional manner.
Together, we make the City of Tonganoxie a safer place to be.
About the Fire Department
Current personnel include a Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, Assistant Chief, Captains, Lieutenants, and Firefighters. TFD is a combination department. The certification requirements are the same whether a firefighter is full-time or volunteer. Two full-time firefighters are on duty 24 hours a day on a rotating schedule with volunteers and part-time firefighters staffing additional shifts as needed. In addition to the staff at the station, volunteers respond from their homes to provide additional resources or to cover the station depending on the call for service. The department currently operates one Engine, one Engine/Tanker, one Quint, a brush truck, and a command vehicle all of which are housed in a 5,000 square foot five bay station located in the heart of downtown. The city currently has mutual aid agreements with nine nearby city and township fire departments to share resources and equipment when needed.
What is the department's ISO rating?
Class 3 Rating
Emergency Medical Services
Hazardous Materials Response
Special Rescue (Rope, Water, Trench, etc.)
The Tonganoxie Fire Department will be prepared to respond and provide services in a respectful, compassionate and professional manner.
What is needed to obtain a burn permit?
Citizens who live inside the city limits that would like a burn permit must fill out a burn permit form available at the fire station. There is also an inspection that must be completed prior to burning which can be set up at the time you fill out the permit form. Usually from the time that a permit form is submitted until the time a citizen can burn is less than 30 minutes. We do however reserve the right to deny any application based on fire danger warnings, weather, or unlawful materials to be burned among other things.
Fire Prevention Tips
- Clean dryer vents frequently and empty lint screens after each load.
- Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector and/or propane detector to add extra safeguards against hazardous situations.
- Don't place hay, straw, or other combustible materials beneath your home as they can easily ignite.
- Faulty heating equipment plays a part in over 40% of winter home fires. You can help prevent fires by safely maintaining and operating your furnace, space heater, or wood stove. Have a qualified technician inspect your furnace, water heater, fuel lines, and gas pressure regulator every year.
- Keep baking soda near your stove to extinguish grease fires. If you don't have baking soda, use salt, but don't use water, which will spread the flame. Never leave cooking unattended.
- Never install a double-cylinder deadbolt lock on your exit doors. They require a key to unlock from the inside. When you need to exit in a hurry, this type of lock can be deadly.
- Replace any cord that is cracked or frayed. If an appliance smokes or has an unusual smell, unplug it and have it repaired by a professional.
- Install smoke detectors.
- Sometimes the sound of a smoke alarm doesn't wake small children. Test your alarms while your children sleep to ensure they are close enough to their bedrooms to wake them.
- Store all matches and lighters up high, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Store flammable liquids like gasoline, kerosene, and paint thinner in approved containers outside your home, but not under your home. They produce invisible vapors that can ignite even from a small spark
- Water your Christmas tree daily and be sure it is placed away from exits and heat sources.
- Kids & Fire
- Home Fire Drills
Are burn permits required in the city? Yes.
Does the Fire Department accompany EMS calls? Yes, we provide advanced life support emergency medical care along with Leavenworth County EMS
Is it necessary for the Fire Department to bring the big fire truck and all those fire fighters to a medical call when they're not really needed?
Depending on the severity of the medical emergency it can take several people to provide quality care. Also, there are times where the ambulance is coming from outside of the city, which causes extended response times. Even though the fire truck and firefighters are on a medical call, we always have coverage for other calls.
Why do you cut holes in the roof when a house is on fire?
During a fire, heat and smoke are trapped inside the home. We cut ventilation holes in the roof to allow the hot gasses and smoke to escape which protects victims and firefighters as well as reduces the damage.
What are the required training and certifications for employment as a firefighter?
All firefighters are required to take an initial 240-hour training course, which is done through KU. Medical training varies from several months to several years depending on the qualification. All firefighters are required to complete countless hours of continuing education every year to help keep them proficient.
How can I request a fire incident report?
If you contact the fire station someone can help you.
How does my club or organization arrange a tour of the fire station?
If you contact the fire station someone can help you.
How often should I change the batteries in my smoke detectors?
Smoke detector batteries should be changed twice per year, during daylight savings time. You can however purchase 10-year lithium ion batteries in which case we recommend that you mark the date to be replaced on the smoke detector.
Who inspects my proposed day care?
Our Deputy Chief is responsible for daycare inspections. Please contact our station to schedule an inspection.
What regulations govern fire codes?
The city has adopted the 2003 International Fire Code. If you have questions you can contact our station and we will be happy to assist you.
Is a license required for fireworks? When may fireworks be utilized?
All firework sales and shows require a permit. You can contact our station and we will be happy to assist you.
Are tent permits required?
Yes, under the 2003 International Fire Code there are regulations that require a permit. You can contact our station and we will be happy to assist you.
When is my business inspected for fire safety?
New businesses are required to have a fire inspection. When a new business files for a business license with the city this will be part of the process.