Business Licenses and Permits
The City of Tonganoxie requires a business license for any enterprise or individual who conducts any business, trade, occupation or profession within the City limits. In order to be approved for a business license, applicants must be active and in good standing with any requirement of the State of Kansas for your type of business, including, but not limited to, registrations, taxes, licenses, certifications, permits, or inspections. Failure to maintain the business in good standing with any state requirement may result in suspension of the City business license. Additionally, if your new enterprise occupies a commercial property in the the city limits, it must pass fire and building code inspections prior to the issuance of your business license.
The business license application fee for new applications and annual renewals is $50, as required by Chapter 5, Article 1 of Tonganoxie Municipal Code. However, if you submit your business license application and payment electronically, you will receive a 10% discount, and the application fee will only be $45.00. This discount does not apply to applications submitted after January 31 of each year, which is the deadline to renew your business license. If you renew your business license after January 31, the fees will be as follows:
|February 1 - last day in February||$100.00|
|March 1 - March 31||$200.00|
|April 1 - December 31||$300.00|
Newly-formed businesses who submit a business license application on or after September 1 will only be required to pay a fee of $20.00. The applicant will then be required to renew the application by the end of January each year.
The application fee can be paid via credit card when submitting this form online by clicking the "$" icon found at the bottom left of the form. You must click this icon and enter your credit card information before you submit your completed application.
If you prefer to submit payment separately, there are several options available to you:
- Pay via credit card, cash, check, or money order at City Hall, located at 321 S. Delaware, Tonganoxie, KS 66086
- Pay by credit card over the phone by calling 913-845-2620
- Mail a check or money order to PO Box 326, Tonganoxie, KS 66086
In an effort to help the company do its due diligence, city hall staff may ask you about other important business documentation, such as insurance, special licenses, special certifications, or status of state debarment. These are not requirements for approval of a business license.
Important Information for Contractors, Roofers, and Daycare Providers
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing contractors must provide a copy of their applicable Johnson County Contractor's License before the business license application will be approved. For your convenience, you will have the opportunity to attach this documentation when you submit your application online.
- Day care providers must provide a copy of their current state daycare license before the business license application will be approved. You will have the opportunity to attach this documentation when submitting your online application.
- Roofing companies must provide a copy of their Kansas roofing license from the Attorney General's Office. You will have the opportunity to attach this documentation when submitting your online application.
Exceptions to the Business License Fee
- Charitable non-profit organizations with documentation to that effect will not be required to pay a business license fee.
- Any business enterprise that earned less than $4,000 in annual gross revenue with documentation to that effect will not be required to pay a business license fee.
Permits, Planning, & Construction
Find out more information about permits and applications commonly used by businesses in Tonganoxie.